Saturday, August 11, 2007

SCO Loses to Novell

I have been following the SCO vs IBM lawsuit at groklaw.net so I was pleased to find out that the Novell vs. SCO case has had a summary judgment in favor of Novell. For those of you who are not following these cases, here is a simplified summary: SCO is suing IBM because they said that IBM violated their UNIX license when it contributed code to the Linux project. Novell is suing SCO because they claim it is them and not SCO who hold the UNIX copyrights and that SCO is just a middleman acting against IBM without their authority. This means that IBM has pretty much already won it's court case.

What does this have to do with games? Not much, but it does have a lot to do with open source as Linux is one of the biggest open source success stories. While most games are not open source (though I do release a lot of my games as open source), there are a lot of open source libraries (such as the PaperVision 3D library that I am experimenting with for use in my upcoming Coffee Quest Revenge, Before 4, 5 and 6 games) that games use.

No comments: