Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Lunch time ramblings

There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you are not paying for it, somebody else is. This is true for the internet as well. The games on Blazing Games are free for the visitor, but the costs of running the site (hosting and bandwidth) still has to be paid for. In the case of BlazingGames.com, it is advertisers who pay for the bandwidth and me who pays for the game development as the time spent creating the games could have been used for a number of other things. I enjoy making games so don't mind donating my time, but wish I could find a way of being paid for my time.

As for the advertising, I really don't like the fact that the ad rates fluctuate so wildly. Sadly, that is the way the free market works so as more sites start adding more advertising, the rate for ads goes down. This is why I am going to try and supplement Blazing Games advertising revenue in a number of ways. The first thing that I am going to do is start offering sponsorship of episodes. I am thinking of offering both business and personal sponsorship of episodes. Personal sponsorship would allow someone to dedicate an episode to someone while business sponsorship would allow a company to have a link to their site. The sponsor would get a copy of the episode with permission to post the game on their site. I don't know if there will be any interest in this, but it can't hurt. If you or your company is interested contact me (webmaster) at BlazingGames.com.

Also, expect to see a series of posts on the subject of open source. These posts will be segments of a larger article on open source that I am creating for eventual posting on the Blazing Games website. After all, getting two birds with one stone is a great way of having a good lunch for half the price.

No comments: