Friday, January 3, 2014

Welcome to 2014

As some of you already know, Blazing Games has switched to a Monthly release format, while my development blog is switching to a weekly format. This is to allow me to spend my time focusing on larger scale games and hopefully turn my hobby into something that can actually pay my bills.

I will continue to have postmortem articles for my game jam games, and will probably expand this to include all the games that I release. Postmortems are nice to have as they help both myself and other game developers spot issues that they should pay attention to. For me, they also help me keep good habits in mind and remind me to avoid all the bad habits that are far too easy to show up.

Anybody who has followed this blog for a while knows that occasionally there will be some news that gets me annoyed requiring me to write long rambling rants. While these will occasionally show up, I do not expect the number of these posts to increase.

The bulk of the posts will be following my development of a  late-eighties commercial quality NES role-playing game. In other words, by the end of the project I want to have a NES game that people would have been willing to pay money for had it come out in the late eighties. This will be made up of very in-depth with side articles on programming 6502 assembly language and the NES.

While I will covering the entire development of this game, I am going to focus more on the theory and logic behind what I am doing rather than the code. My thought is that understanding why something is done is far more important than the actual code. If you understand the theory then you can do the implementation in any language you want. I will try to make my source code available so anybody interested in the nuts and bolts can simply download the source files and look at the code.

No comments: