Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Directories

I spent the day adding the directory links to all the game pages on the site. I was catching up on my podcast listening while doing all the cutting and pasting. I foolishly did the directory links as hard-coded links, but when you consider that all the pages are permanent pages anyway this is not that big of an issue. Though a better way would be to generate the directory algorithmically, though as the actual path doesn't always match the directory of the content, this probably wouldn't be as easy as if I had planned for a directory from the start.

While "organic" programming has become trendy lately, due to the frequent release schedule I force upon myself, Blazing Games and all the games created for it have always had an organic nature to them. By organic, I mean that you start your program (or site, as the case may be) with small initial goals. You then grow the program by adding new features and functionality to it. As iterations pass, you end up with a much larger entity than you ever imagined you would have. Sometimes you are able to trim chunks of the project (refactoring the code), though sometimes you end up with knots due to the way the thing grew (interfaces that have to be maintained even though they don't quite fit in with the rest of the growth).

Blazing Games has grown to huge proportions, and hopefully it will continue to grow over the upcoming years.

No comments: